Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error.

Recently I went in a newly built MS SQL Server 2008 R2 instance on Windows Server 2008 R2 server, I got login failure when trying to connect to SQL Server instance through SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) using windows authentication. And I have added my account as SA in the SQL instance. I checked the error message detail. It was:

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 11.

Login failed for user 'Domain\myuser'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error.

This is the first time I got this error since I didn’t run any SQL server on Windows Server 2008 R2 before. After a little bit research, it was caused by UAC (User Access Control). I ran SSMS with option “Run as Administrator”. And I was able to login to SQL Server successfully. Here is a blog post explaining very clear about it.

No comments: